Sunday, July 19, 2009

Personal Memories of the Apollo Program

My first childhood memory of the space program is rather fuzzy. I recall an early grade school publication introducing the Saturn 5. My earliest television memory is of Apollo 7, the first manned test flight of the Apollo spacecraft and crew operations. As the flight took place only in earth orbit, the Saturn 1B booster was utilized.

NASA Apollo 7 Page

At the time I did not understand why this apparent first Apollo flight was designated as 7. I was not yet aware of the tragic Apollo 1 fire or the unmanned Saturn 5 tests that followed.

Remembering Apollo 1

Apollo 1 Crew

My interest was set in stone with the launch of Apollo 8, which was originally intended as a manned orbital test flight of the entire Saturn 5 package. With the Lunar Module not ready for launch and uncertainty about the status of the Russian moon program, the mission plan was changed and Apollo 8 became the first manned spacecraft to orbit the moon!

Apollo 8 Mission

I remember the inspirational Christmas Eve message from the astronauts in lunar orbit. It has been said that this event saved the otherwise tumultuous year of 1968.

As an eight-year-old, I was now watching TV news regularly, anxious for information on the Apollo program as it built to its climax, Apollo 11!

I recall being at the neighbors across the street when the Apollo 11 “Eagle” set down on the moon. I remember a flashing graphic reading “Touchdown”. I am not sure what channel we were tuned to even after looking over the TV guide from that afternoon.

TV Guide scans: July 20, 1969

I wish I could say I was watching the iconic Walter Cronkite broadcast, but I don’t believe so.

Later that night, long after my usual bedtime, I witnessed an event more exciting to a kid my age than Christmas morning – Neil Armstrong’s first step on the moon!

According to the latest TV news reports, it would seem that the telemetry tapes containing the unconverted video of the moonwalk broadcast were erased 20 years ago. However (at “press time”) this has not been verified on the NASA website:

NASA Releases Restored Apollo 11 Moonwalk Video

Using the latest digital technology, the video home viewers have been watching for years has been “up-rezed” for greater clarity.

Apollo 11 HD Videos

I am still hoping tapes in the original format turn up in someone’s barn the way some silent era films thought to be lost have been found. However, there is the 16mm footage taken from the window of the LEM.

Apollo 11 Video Library

The resolution of 16mm film has always been equal to or greater than the present HD digital technology. The Apollo film footage is now being converted to HD.

Apollo 11 Lunar Landing from Mark Gray on Vimeo.



Neil Armstrong on the Moon from Mark Gray on Vimeo.



I became so enthralled with the space program, that it earned me the nickname of “Astro-Nut” in my fourth grade class. That presented me with a dilemma when I learned the launch of Apollo 12 was scheduled during school hours. Pretending to be sick that day was not an option as the truth would be all too obvious. I had a brainstorm and made a suggestion to my teacher, Miss Jones, for an “educational outing” (though with less sophisticated wording). So on the day of the launch, I brought the entire class to my house to watch it! Convenient, as I lived just behind the school. A few classmates were actually upset! I suppose they preferred to be in school.

I do recall seeing lightning hit the Apollo 12 as it rose from the pad.



The Apollo 12 mission was rather infamous for astronaut Alan Bean’s “camerawork” as he fried the video camera tube by pointing it at the sun. After a long stretch of time watching a blotch with audio, we were then treated to marionettes emulating the astronauts’ actions. A glimpse of this puppet show can be seen at the 1:21 point in this promo for the DVD release “Live From the Moon”.

Live From The Moon Preview #1 from Mark Gray on Vimeo.



As a kid watching the Apollo program unfold on television, I felt the timeline seemed realistic. But of course a child’s perception of time is very different. Little did I know just how much cramming and finger-crossing was actually going on. Even during the Apollo 13 incident, I figured they would make it back – no problem. As I learned the realities over the years, my respect for the ingenuity of the engineers and bravery of the astronauts has increased a million-fold! It is unfortunate it was largely driven by the Cold War, but it proved how much we can accomplish in a relatively short time when we are goal-oriented rather than profit-oriented as we have become since (Look where that has gotten us).

It was easy to believe the movies and TV shows in the 60’s depicting colonies on the Moon, Mars and beyond by the turn of the century. I am still convinced much more of that fiction could have turned to fact had we kept up the momentum.

My aforementioned fourth grade class at the Alexander Hamilton Elementary School in Morristown, New Jersey was a tremendous turning point in my life. While I was well on my way toward filmmaking as a career choice, the space program sparked an enormous interest in science. My high school and college curriculums were heavy on physics, astronomy, chemistry and biology, with a Minor in Computer Science alongside my Film Major. I received my private pilot’s license when I was nineteen. I still hope to someday spend a vacation in the Adult Space Camp Program. Anyone want to join me? Yes, I still do rollercoasters!

I had an aunt and uncle living on Merritt Island, Florida in the late 70’s. A neighbor who worked for NASA gave us passes to the very first rollout of the Space Shuttle Columbia. Here is my film of the event:



The Space Shuttle will soon be retired, meaning the United States will not launch a manned spacecraft until the resurrection of the moon program circa 2020. Despite the long wait, I am very excited about the new hardware.

NASA Constellation Main Page

NASA Constellation Interactive Page

The new spacecraft will carry crews of four, only this time all of them will go to the surface. There will be special landers designed for cargo which will carry segments for permanent lunar outposts. Large pressurized rovers will allow more extensive travel across the surface. Much of this new program will be aimed at developing and testing new technologies for much more demanding manned missions to Mars. We keep hearing how too few American students are pursuing careers in science and engineering. Hopefully this program will inspire more of the next generation to consider this route.

It has always bugged me when some would say “Why are we spending all this money on the space program when there are bigger problems in the world and people living in poverty?” What they didn’t consider were the countless thousands of people employed directly and indirectly to make it all happen, including private contractors, engineers, scientists, assemblers, support and administrative staff. Did they think the funds were simply thrown onto a NASA administrator’s desk and – POOF – Space Program?!! They were basically suggesting we put thousands of people out of work so we can give money to people who are out of work. They seemed to favor more unemployment compensation and welfare over job creation. What is more worthy; technological development or manipulating money for personal gain as has become the American obsession?

Michael Collins had a more philosophical answer for those questioning scientific endeavors in a troubled world. I have not been able to locate the exact quote, but he basically wondered where the human race would be if throughout history we waited for a “perfect world” before engaging in exploration.

One thing is for certain, as solutions are found for the world’s troubles, especially those involving limited resources for a growing population, science will play a major role.

Additional Links:

From my editing portfolio:
Apollo 11 20th Anniversary, for WPIX News


NASA Apollo Page

We Choose the Moon

1 comment:

  1. You sure did your homework! As a kid my fascination rested on the lower gravity which permitted the astronauts to bounce around and hop with little effort. Who said NASA didn't inspire the counter-culture's embrace of hallucinogens?

    ReplyDelete